World Health Organization says: “Severely Malnourished children have a higher risk of death from common childhood illness such as diarrhoea, pneumonia, and malaria. Nutrition-related factors contribute to about 45% of deaths in children under-5 years of age.”
Severely Malnourished kids need medical attention and must be admitted in Nutrition Rehabilitation Center (NRC) for saving the lives of the kids.
- Our team started working in the 10 villages from July-2018 and within 3 months of time admitted 21 severely malnourished kids in NRC. While, there was not even a single malnourished kid admitted in NRC in the previous 6 months.
- Not just admitting the kids, our team has regularly followed up with the families during their stay in NRC about facilities and also after discharge about providing nutritious food.
- Our team has closely worked with the government authorities to improve the facilities in NRC.
Our extensive efforts on the ground have produced excellent results in reducing malnutrition:
- Severely malnourished children decreased from 15.62% to 5.48%.
- Healthy children increased from 32.29% to 38.31%.
- Moderately malnourished children increased from 52.09 % to 56.22% as a result of several kids moving from severe malnutrition to the moderate malnutrition.
Inline with our belief that local community empowerment is crucial for sustainable change, we have strengthened the ‘Swaasthya aur Poshan Mitra (SPM’) committees in every village. SPM committees are the integration of Village Health, Nutrition & Sanitation committees (VHSNCs) and Anganwadi Level Monitoring & Support Committees (ALMSC) which are envisaged by the government health & ICDS departments respectively.
The % of institutional deliveries in the 10 villages rose from 88.5 % to 96.5 % in a short span of just three months of our work.